Isn't Grant's intention with these very long reaches to the bar, to allow
bars with long sweepback on a stem of reasonable length and with a lot of
rise?

In my own case, with short arms and long torso and a drop bar level with or
below saddle, I need a very undersquare frame (60 X 56 c-c is perfect) for
a level top tube; of courses, if I were to use a non-drop bar with a lot of
sweepback, things could be different.