All interesting.  I just finished a week of gravel riding out of Patagonia
AZ (highly recommended!) with a friend who is much more of a mountain/off
road rider than myself.  He was on a Salsa Cutthroat and I was on my 2013
Atlantis with 50mm tires.  I make no bike recommendations but my buddy
suggested I get a Surly Krampus for the next time.  He has 4 or 5 various
off road bikes.  The owner of Patagonia Bikes thought my bike was awesome
but did comment upon seeing it that he now understood why I described the
ride as "bumpy." If I were doing a LOT of that riding, I suppose I would
consider another bike. As it is, at 70, I think my Atlantis will do.  I did
lag the second half of our longest ride but that was me, not the bike.

Bill S
San Diego