Here's one benefit of very long chainstays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xXRjXv_4v0

You couldn't do that on any of my road Rivs or my Sam.

Patrick Moore, who used to use his right foot to brake the 24" front wheel
in 28"-wheel fork on his very first build when riding the fw bike without
other brakes in heavy traffic and down steep, winding hills on traffic
arteries.