Interestingly I just went through a similar process, and considered many of the bikes already mentioned (Roadini, Lightning Bolt, Pescadero). I wound up buying a Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross. It just arrived last week and I’m gathering parts for the build. The plan is drop bars, SRAM Eagle 1x12 drivetrain, RH Snoqualmie Pass tires with the new RH TPU tubes (so I’m following that thread with interest too).

What sold me on the Monstercross are the canti studs (I don’t care for centerpull brakes) and brazeons for a rando rack. BB is a little higher than comparable bikes, which isn’t surprising for bike with cyclocross DNA, but I’m hoping it will work out for more spirited road rides while still able to handle non-technical singletrack.

But then I read Diana H.’s epic bikepacking trip reports on her Platypus and it makes me think that I’m probably overthinking things (I’m prone to that) and that Lance was right — it’s not about the bike. But it is fun to experiment!

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Sent from my Atari 400