A few things to keep in mind:

-Riding in an upright position will recruit different muscles in your legs
and butt, you may feel it to be a bit harder to ride fast in this position.
You will also catch more wind which can slow you down a bit.
-You should keep in mind the steering axis. If your stem is too short, you
can create overly "whippy" steering. Making sure your stem is long enough
will resolve that issue.
-You'll also likely want a wider saddle.

I have a "drop bar" Surly Midnight Special. It's a great bike but I'm not
currently in love with the position even though my handlebars are mounted
higher than my seat. I find that my "golfers elbow" is aggravated by the
hand position and  I rarely use the drops. I'm also not a racer, I don't
enjoy super aggressive position in which is why I have my bars mounted
higher than my saddle. I acquired a Long Haul Trucker that is a small for
me if I built it with drop bars (albatross bars,) but it's absolutely
perfect as a swept back build. I'm in a fully upright position on it and I
use it as my sometimes work-commuter, bop around town bike. I feel I have
the best viewing angle for checking my surroundings on this bike. I
recently completed a build of a Velo Orange Polyvalent with their Wave
bars. I'd say it's right in the middle of a fully upright and neutral drop
bar position (not dissimilar to my angle on the Midnight Special.) It's
currently my absolute favorite ride.

If you have a bike you don't mind spending money to convert, I highly
recommend it. As Igor from Velo Orange says "change your bars, change your
life." He highly advocates for switching things up. If you have the dough
to spend on a new bike built this way, I think the Platypus or the Clem-L
are calling your name somewhere in the distance...

Midnight Special photo is a little outdated. I no longer have racks on it,
just a saddle bag support. Considering putting flat bars on it.

Long haul
Polyvalent