I ended up sticking with drop bars, but making some changes after a good
conversation with my chiro and a few rides on the three bikes where I paid
a lot of attention to where I had pain, and my posture on those rides.

On the Roadini and Salsa, I was using 42cm bars (at the hoods hoods) with
12 degrees of flare.  First time I went up from 40cm.  In previous fittings
I was told I can run a 38cm as I have narrow shoulders.  It's a trend these
days to run wider, I tried it, but it really backfired given my
pre-existing neck/shoulder issue.  When on the hoods my arms were not a
straight line from my body, they were out a bit, and this was a minor
(major at times) pain.  I replaced those bars, have ridden each bike once
(1.5-2.5 hours) and it was instantly noticeable.  Pain gone.  Both of those
bikes have the bars upright (tops level with saddle, hoods higher) and not
stretched out.  Road bike has 40cm bars, but the reach is long and drop is
2.5cm below saddle (making the drops unreachable for me).  That's being
rectified next.

I may try swept back one day, but for now I do love drop bars and the
varied hand positions, and it was much cheaper to replace two bars and
re-use the table (success on both counts).