Nick Payne wrote:

On Thursday 16 May 2024 at 1:03:44 pm UTC+10 Chester wrote:

Really appreciate bigger sensors being available in pocketable packages. I
don't ride in jerseys any more, so I haven't settled on the best way to
carry even a really compact camera like an RX100 or GR. Even when just
riding with my phone, with it in the pocket of a normal pair of shorts,
it's not a great to wrestle it out while pedaling. Have ridding a couple
times with the RX100 in a stem pouch and that's probably the best carry
option I've used so far. Ir maybe that sort of bag worn on a belt, or...a
fanny pack.

For carrying phone/cameras, I've been using one of the Routewerks handlebar
bags for several years.

That looks really really practical. I need to do a deep dive into getting a
new handlebar bag. Would like a bigger one and one with a quick release so
it's less fiddly to not leave my bag behind when stopping somewhere while
riding around town. Using mustache handlebars complicates things a little,
but deciding to go with pink accents even more so.

Think for larger cameras with interchangeable lenses, even if a relatively
small one with a not-big lens, is gonna be best carried in a bigger
handelbar bag. Using a shoulder strap with a stabilizer strap works well
too, but I just don't want the weight on me, even if it's not all that
much.

So far, for the RX100, a stem pouch has been pretty good, and I've stuck a
folded innertube at the bottom of the bag to raise the floor and make it
easier to get the camera out while pedaling. But this definitely won't take
an MILC, unless it's an especially small body and especially flat pancake
lens.

Another camera that I wish I had to try out for carrying while riding is a
Panasonic LX100. Pretty compact all-in-one with a 24-75mm (equiv) zoom and
m43 sensor.

Chester
SF Bay Area