It was in shallow retrospect grossly, ineptly and almost culpably ignorant
of me to think I could just take 1 1/2 times a bike's weight and shove it on
the back anyhow and expect the bike to handle normally. Anyway, I just got
back from a brief 17 mile out 'n' back -- flat, no hills, but a few modest
curves -- on the SH, this time with 42 lb in back BUT in the Ortliebs
properly installed on the Logo. *What* a huge difference. It's at least as
good as the Motobecane, probably a bit better -- with this amount of weight
-- thanks to the stiffer rack (I assume it's stiffer; it's a Tubus and it
has more struts) and, I daresay, stiffer frame -- it's not light 531,
anyway. The bike still wanders, and I expect that after a couple of hours on
it even this amount of wandering would get tiresome, but it is hugely,
emphatically and excessively better than with the Axioms hanging off the
rear of the rack. How obvious in retrospect!

Anyway, I think that the ideal, that will make this bike quite wonderful as
a tourer -- and I deliberately chose it over the beefier Atlantis -- will be
to take, say, 15 or so lb from the rear and put it on the front.

Which leads to the question: how best to load the front? Platform or porteur
rack and big bag, or low riders? I guess, from what others say, that I will
be carrying 40 to 50 lb total of load and, again, perhaps 3:2 rear:front.

So, porteur or low riders? And, what is the best value for each -- I mean,
brands, models? I know Tubus and Ortlieb are safe bets, but they are of
course expensive.

Thanks. I may have an Ostrich and a Nashbar rack, plus decaleur bits, to
sell.

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM