Or like my wife, you could get a new, lugged steel, 6 speed Raleigh
with metal headbadge, fenders, basket, kickstand, chainguard and
skirtguard, and even a passenger seat w/foot-pegs in lieu of a rear
rack for $120 (if you live in Thailand). Pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25150...@n08/4811164801/

I was dead-set against buying it, because it seemed too cheap, but it
has held up very well for 1.5 years of almost daily commuting and the
occasional ride to dinner with me as the captain and my wife on the
back seat. The lugs are the crudest you'll ever see, the fork is a
unicrown and an ugly one at that, the rear drum brake is a joke,
especially combined with the plastic brake levers (but the stamped
metal front sidepull works well), and the indexed shifting requires
overshifting to get into certain gears (but at least it's easy to do
with the thumbshifter). The nipples are plated steel and have started
to rust (I just WD40 them on occasion), and the cranks, seat post,
hubs, and bars are steel as well. The tire sidewalls cracked all
around the first year because the tubes kept loosing air and my wife
would ride it with 15-20 psi or so rather than dealing with the stock
Woods valves or asking me to pump up her tires, but the tires are
still going anyway. The paint started out as a metallic turquoise but
has faded to a much nicer bluish silver from 1.5 years of tropical sun
exposure at her work.

Triple or quadruple the price, spend a little more on frame finishing
and paint, and throw on slightly better components (like the $10 Dia
Compe brake levers from VO) and maybe some aluminum parts to save a
little weight, and you'd have a great bike!

Cheers,

Gernot