Michael,

Impeccable timing.  Last weekend I was descending on my Rambouillet
and noticed something similar (tires = 700x27 Rolly Poly).  Above 35
mph, it's not exactly the shimmy/speed wobble you describe but an
unnerving twitchiness/skittishness in the front end.  At speeds of
40-50 mph descending 7 Colorado Rocky Mountain passes in 2008 the
Rambouillet felt so consistently twitchy that I was anxious making
even the slightest movements, like shifting hands from brake hoods to
drops.  Lowering the bars 2 cm hasn’t helped.

By comparison, the other bike that I've ridden for the past 12 years
is a 1998 Cannondale T1000 touring bike with rake, trail and wheelbase
specifically designed for loaded touring. This bike can descend any
grade at any speed with any load with motorcycle-like confidence.

I realize that there are dozens of variables that effect front-end
stability (headset tightness, tires, wheels, rake, trail, wheelbase,
rider’s fore/aft weight distribution, winds, rider skill/experience);
I’d also be grateful to hear from others who experienced and then
dialed down the twitchiness/speed wobble/shimmy factor.

Will

PS Michael, it sounds like you were going *really* fast. I’ve
experienced such speed wobbles on motorcycles when going too fast,
especially motorcycles without steering dampers. Once the shimmy was
induced by a side wind; another due to irregular pavement. (Were
either of these issues?)  I also wonder if you were squeezing the top
tube with your knees at the time (this is known to quell wobbles).