It sometimes happens that a bike model will have changes over the run
- the Romulus and Saluki are other examples where there was a change
in brake type. The Sam is a little unusual in that it was caught in
production issues just as it was ramping up, so there was undoubtedly
some scrambling to keep the initial run going, thought IIRC there were
posts from Grant talking about the changes as they were happening.

I hope you don't think you have a lesser bike for the minor
differences. Waterford frames aren't custom either, but like the
Maxways are certainly above-average production quality. Both of those
forks are nice to my eye, and both have that curve i like so much. I
owned a Redwood for a few years; it had a 1-color paint job and
plainer lugs than any of the Sams, and it rode as well as any
Rambouillet i tried, no regrets.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Peter Pesce <petepe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really don't know why Riv has to go and make multiple different
> versions of this bike.
> Yes, I know the only answer that matters is "because Grant wants to"
> but even HE has to expend lots of unnecessary energy explaining to
> people why one version is, allegedly, as good as the other.
> Just when he convinces people that Taiwan-made bikes are "real"
> Rivendells he goes and has them made by Waterford. He puts different
> forks and brakes on them, even different forks on the Maxway bikes-
> Alan at EcoVelo has a 60cm Maxway Sam with cantis and what will, now,
> forever hence be known as the "nice" fork; I have a 60cm Maxway Sam
> with sidepulls and what will forever hence be known as the "crappy"
> fork.
> Maybe I'm just not used to this way of doing business, being a Riv
> rookie...

Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN