I have a coupled Rivendell All-Rounder.  It has traveled by air
internationally and domestically three or four times.

Is it "cost efficient"?  Probably not.
Is it convienient?  Sure.  I have used the couplers the quickly put
the bike in the trunk of a car.

A bit time consuming to pack/unpack, the Brompton is much faster but I
perfer to ride the All-Rounder.

Angus