I'll add my plaintive whine to this thread: John and Ryan are quite
right. I've owned a couple early to mid '80s mountain bikes and they
are royal dogs for most riding; perhaps they have their advantages but
I've not been in a situation to discover them.

OTOH, the early '90s Stumpjumpers -- I owned a '90 S Comp and a '91 S
Team, both steel, the latter nice Prestige -- were very nice all round
bikes. I road-ified my '91 as a commuter.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:02 AM, rcnute <rcn...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I had an '86 Stumpjumper:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/30684...@n08/3921989102/
>
> It looked so cool and rode so bad.
>
> Ryan
>
> On Sep 23, 1:41 pm, John Speare <johnspe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Michael Williams
>>
>> <mkernanwilli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone out there have a 1994 MB-1 or mid 80's Stumpjumper they want to
>> > sell. I know its a long
>> > shot, but giving it a try. 22"or 23" frame. Thanks, Mike
>>
>> > --
>>
>> I have neither, but I'm curious what your goal is -- these bikes are
>> very different. The first generation stumpjumpers are super slack,
>> long chainstay, ultra turds with "specialized touring" steel. The 94
>> MB1 is much steeper, super climber, fancy tubing, much faster
>> handling.
>>
>> --
>> John Speare
>> Spokane, WA USAhttp://cyclingspokane.blogspot.com/