I have been riding as much as possible in Minnesota winter going back
to 2004, and I LOVE it! Nokians were my first studded tires, but now
I'm committed to Schwalbe studded models, which are lighter, have more
studs, and seem to roll easier. Winter riding is in many ways
different than summer riding, with a variety of challenges that fair-
weather cyclists never consider, but the result is generally stronger
spring legs and sharper bike handling skills. There is some danger, of
course, both from drivers and simply slipping on icy roads. I crash
several times each winter, generally with little or no injury. We have
great bike trails here, which are typically better maintained than
roads, so winter cycling is a no-brainer for me.

My now-elsewhere Atlantis saw me through a few winters. My 1984
Stumpjumper fixed-gear (now for sale, by the way) was my steed in the
most recent winter or two. This year, my utility winter bike will be
my 1992 Trek 750 fixed-gear and my fun/training bike will be my Surly
"Pugstigator" (Instigator with Pugsley fork) with the gnarliest
studded tires I can find (probably Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro). I don't
generally shy away from using nice bikes in winter. A halfway regular
cleaning/lubrication schedule prevents most winter issues. Stainless
and nickel-plated chains seem to do ok without a ton of maintenance,
and Shimano derailleurs tend to work fine as long as they stay
somewhat clean and lubed once in awhile. Shimano freehubs and all
freewheels often seize in subzero temps (lower viscosity grease may
help), but I've never had a problem with Phil freehubs. Generator hubs
and internal gear hubs tend to die prematurely if ridden in snow/slush/
salt slop. Around here, I can generally avoid the sloppiest days,
since most of the time things are frozen solid, and then everything
melts all at once over the course of a few days.