Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to wear out Schwalbe
Marathons.  On my Atlantis, are rear will go around 6k miles, in a mix
of loaded touring, some off roading & general riding.  I've never
pushed one to the point of seeing what's under the tread but when the
center of the chevron pattern is getting faint I think it's earned its
keep.  A brand new pair of tires at the start of touring season is
pretty good insurance against flats.

BTW, Riv has stock again on the Marathon Supreme (my favorite).  I
just got a pair of 40s, looking ahead to next year.  They seem to
come'n'go, so I grabbed 'em while they had them.  Expensive? Sure.
Worth it? Absolutely.

dougP