SOMEWHAT angry?  Who raised that moron?

-----Original Message-----
From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
[mailto:rbw-owners-bu...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Jim Thill - Hiawatha
Cyclery
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 7:24 PM
To: RBW Owners Bunch
Subject: [RBW] Re: Two posts on our site

My first bike shop job was at one of the larger shops in the area, and the
owner is/was a pretty hard-headed, sharp-elbowed businessman. I remember one
time hearing him telling an aspiring-but-procrastinating customer "I'm not
operating a museum." That has stuck with me over the years - in this business I
can have nice bikes on display and offer lots of good advice to anybody who
comes through the door, but merchandise has to be sold and cash has to flow in.
Tire-kickers and gawkers need to be subsidized by the people who buy stuff.
Recently my staff and I spent a couple hours with a customer, answering
questions, letting him ride different bikes, etc. On his third call, he started
asking about different handlebars, and I answered his questions based on my
experience. Ten minutes into the call he tells me he decided to buy the bike,
which I had in stock, from another place. I just remembered, I'm not operating
a museum (or, for that matter, a free consulting business), and the remainder
of the conversation was incredibly brief. I am glad that I got off the phone
quickly, because I was somewhat angry about it...

On Oct 29, 6:02 pm, reynoldslugs <be...@perrylaw.net> wrote:
> Jim Hill's comments remind me, for some reason, of a quote they used
> to hang on the wall in City Lights Bookstore, in SF:
>
> "People who say they love poetry and never buy any are a bunch of
> cheap sons-of-bitches."
>
> - attributed variously to Kenneth Patchen and Lawrence Ferlinghetti
>
> Hope that doesn't offend anyone, it's offered in humor.  Anyway I
> needed some new woolie stuff, so I ordered it.

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we advise you that,
unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this
message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the
purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code
or applicable state or local tax law provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or
recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently
delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their
professional qualifications will be provided upon request.