Back in the day...when I lived and raced Cyclo-cross in So Cal (on a
Rivendell), Mark Salmon, the owner of TCB cyclery in Fullerton CA (now
closed) showed up to a cyclo-cross on a single speed, pronouncing it
to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I was a regular at his
shop.

During his race I was furiously ringing cow bells in the middle of a
climb...as he passed by he huffed "Dude...don't every f*&$in do
this!"...we never saw the single speed cross bike again.

Angus