Yes, it’s frustrating because I’ve only heard good things about this
combination, but for some reason I can’t get it right.

My rear cassette has 9 cogs for sure. And even if it didn’t, my Dura
Ace shifters has written on them: “Compatible with RD-7700(9s) &
RD-7400(8s)”. So it should work even with 8-speed cassette, right?

I haven’t taken the rear derailleur apart so the pulleys are in the
same place as it was mounted in the factory. It worked fine with the
Silver Shifters - except my problem with dialing in the biggest cogs
right. And now I can get some of the cogs working - like 3 largest or
3 smallest - but not all of them at the same time.

I haven’t torqued the mounting screw with a torque tool, so I’m not
sure, but I don’t think it’s over the 10Nm recommendation. I could try
to loosen it up a bit, if you think it could cause the problem.