It seems like the shifter is working now! :)

Almost too embarrassing to tell how it went. I never got the shifting
adjusted while the bike was in the stand (actually 2 different
stands). Trust me, I tried everything. That’s why I never tried it
loaded - the shifting seemed far too nasty for that.

Then I went for a ride today and headed to the hills nearby. I was
riding with friction shifting, but thought I’d try the indexing just
for fun for those gears that worked. I actually read the link that
Eddie mailed (Thanks Eddie!). The article said “Most bikes shift
differently in the stand than they do under load.” So I gave it a try.

To my great surprise, the shifting was completely different under
load. So I actually got the shifting adjusted so that it works fine on
all gears. It was much easier than while the bike was in the stand.

I couldn’t hear any noise or anything from the gears. But it was very
windy and hard to hear anything, so we’ll see. All the gears seemed to
be allright though.

It’s still a mystery to me why it didn’t work in the stand, but I
guess it’s two completely different things to use it under load or
unloaded.

Thanks for all the help!

If you have any reflections around this, please let me know.

Regards, Juhani