Well, thanks all for the responses. My conclusion is this: The
SimpleTwo is a reasonable notion. It definitely goes on the list of
potential bike-y projects for me. It may be before or after or instead
of or pre-empted by a mixte (still thinking about Betty as the Next
Bike Thing). But I can enjoy chewing on both notions for a while.

I certainly understand the concern at least one person expressed over
relying solely on the hub (and therefore the chain) for braking. But
if I "curate" (heh heh) a SimpleTwo, and if the SimpleOne is produced
as a non-canti bike, I'd definitely get a S2C hub (S2 is the duomatic
designation; C suffix indicates coaster brake) and try it without any
rim brakes at some point. Canti studs might gnaw at me aesthetically
too much, so I might not even bother to try it rim-brake-less if it is
a canti-studded bike. But it seems that the Sturmey-Archer folks are
pricing the S2* hubs such that getting a coaster-wheel built-up only
to discover I don't like it would not be a horrible cost overrun. I'd
sure love to ride a nice comfortable versatile bike with nothing but
bars in the cockpit.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean