I thought doing uber long rides was not healthy........unless you do
them at a very moderate pace so as to burn fat stores and not "rocket
fuel" carbohydrates ! Three hours of high intensity aerobic exercise
is plenty in my humble opinion. Long walks across the Savanna or long
rides across the state would necessitate eating but not necessarily
high glycemic carbs. I'd imagine a warm bowl of beans and meat
( chili ) might suffice upon resting coupled with vegetables, and some
berries and nuts nibbled along the way. The point I am trying to make
is that you have to eat if you are moving all day just as someone
would do if they had a physical labor job but gels and sports drinks
etc. seem like a poor substitute for real food. I think some of us
become exercise addicts thinking we will be better off for it somehow.
Ask anyone who really works physically hard for a living and see how
their bodies hold up when they get past their forties. Many are
saddled with arthritis, joint wear, back injuries etc. I'd rather do
just enough exercise to maintain good health, while eating properly
and not worry so much. I know what works for me move a little more,
eat a little less, avoid empty calorie foods for the most
part.........and enjoy life, drink wine, sing songs, love your
family.