On Feb 26, 11:54 am, William <tapebu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Patrick, thanks for the comments.  Does this mean that you believe my
> 700C setup will be faster?  Or does it mean that you believe that
> whichever wheelset is lighter will be faster?  My test will be a non-
> stop two hour stretch on mediocre pavement, free of mass sprints.
> Does that mean you think the speed differences will be negligible?

i don't know, man!  again, "fast" for me is what bike can do under a
specific set of circumstances - e.g., when I want to attack or respond
to attack.  it's really hard for me to tell a difference just rollin'
along - even at a  good clip -  w/out going after town lines or
jumping on it because i tend to gravitate towards the same speeds
regardless of what bike i'm on.  it's only when i make the effort to
go faster that I notice advantages/disadvantages of a certain bike/
wheel set-up/etc.  if i'm not going hard, well .... then i'm not going
hard.

what are your wheelset/tire specs?  i doubt it would make a difference
because you are rolling solo and probably won't be accelerating/
decelerating too much.  but, if "fast" is the game, I'd certainly give
the edge to a lighter wheelset.

my "fast" 650b wheelset is pretty light - H2s laced to 28h/32h
velocity aeroheads with pari-motos or GB cypres - pretty lively ride,
but doesn't accelerate or climb as well as my 700c set-up. my "fast"
700c wheelset is a bit lighter and sports the skinny challenge tires -
it's quick.  my cx wheelset are Zipp 303s and they're in a whole
'nuther league.

it bears repeating that a skinny, 700c tire was the *fastest* in BQs
tire tests.  so, i'll repeat it:  the challenge triathalon (23mm) tire
was the fastest tire in BQ "real world" tire tests.  Jan wrote, "I
used these tires for 2000 km (1200 miles) without a flat, and set
several personal best times during long-distance events. In addition
to their high performance, these tires offered excellent comfort, road
feel and cornering adhesion."  somehow, that result always gets left
out of the wider is faster discussion.

anyway, given the duration/distance of your test route, you're biology
on any given day is going to be a real variable.

but, let us know what you find - sounds like a fun experiment!