I think every bike has a story and a Rivendell has a special quality that
not many other bicycles have: they take on the character of their owners.
Really, it is like the bicycles develop a life of their own after a while.
Here is a brief story, followed by photos, of one of my Rivendells: a 1996
road standard.  My hope is that this post will inspire others to detail
their setups and bicycle back stories.

I bought the bike as a Frame/Fork plus extras a few years ago.  It was
disappointing at first to find out that this model, which uses 49mm brake
reach, does not allow a true 28mm tire plus fender to fit.  What seemed like
a set back ended up being a large influence on the build of the bicycle.
Initially I used a wheel set made up of Chris King hubs built with bladed
spokes along with a Ritchey compact double crankset and other assorted
parts.  The gearing was too low on the 110bcd cranks and the hubs were too
loud. I knew I needed to change things up.  After looking around a bit and
scouring my parts bin I came across the Dura Ace parts that are on the
bicycle now.  I had 9 speed Dura Ace brake/shifters on for a while but found
that they fail too easily and are expensive to replace.  I went back to
friction shifting with the help of some Suntour Sprint DT shifters.  Finally
everything was cohesive on the bicycle and it felt more stable, fast, and
fun than ever.

Here is the current set up, because I know we all like the tiny details.
I expect it will stay this way for a while:

1996 Road Standard, stock blue color 54cm
Headset - Shimano 600
Stem - Nitto Pearl 10cm
Bars - Nitto Noodle 44cm
Brake levers - Shimano 105
Shifters - Suntour Sprint DT
Brakes -Dura Ace 7700 -kool stop pads on front
Cranks  -Dura Ace 7700 -170mm
Chainrings - Sugino 48t, Dura Ace 39t
Pedals - dual sided SPD
Wheels - 28h Dura ace 7700 to Mavic CXP-30 rims
Front Derailer - Dura Ace 7800
Rear Derailer - Dura Ace 7700 triple
Cassette - 9 speed 11-32
Seat post - I don't remember.