I enjoy mine mounted on the down tube as they are long enough to reach
and they are silky smooth. To be honest they are just levers to me
ratcheting or not (although that feature is pleasant) they allow me to
derail the chain onto a different cog and that's about it. The fact
that they look nice on the bike is a bonus. They seem to be well made
and in spite of the little plastic washer thingy that sometimes
cracks, mine have been going strong for several years now. I will make
my own exact duplicate washers out of brass because I can and in fact,
I could make many of them but it wouldn't affect my choice to buy them
again. The Shimano's seem nice but I don't index and the only others I
have used are Campagnolo's and the old Suntour ratcheting ones that
keep on ticking on my old Raleigh. I acquired them off an old junk
bike for free. I don't know if the Shimano levers work or look good on
the down tube but the Silvers do and I am satisfied.