As someone who bicycles everyday in a metropolitan city (SF) and also
has been in a near fatal car/bicycle accident, i use a helmet every
time i ride. People drive crazy here, and not wearing a helmet and
getting hit by a car can mean the difference between a hospital stay
and a trip to the morgue.

After spending three weeks in SF General hospital with a shattered leg
and skin grafts, and nearly a year and a half off of a bicycle, i'm
afraid to ride without one. and now, it just feels like a habit. i
understand this guy's point as far as getting cyclists on the road by
taking the "fear" out of it, but i also very much understand the use
and impact of carefully selected statistics. i'm not afraid of
cycling, i'm afraid of smashing my skull.

If you look at this website: http://www.bhsi.org/stats.htm , you can
see that of all bicycle deaths in 2008, 91% were not wearing helmets,
while the other 9% were. I think that's a rather clear statistic. You
may have a low chance of actually getting in an accident on your
bicycle compared to lets say, driving a car, but if you do, it looks
as though helmets will save your life.