On May 6, 7:24 am, "Bill M." <bmenn...@comcast.net> wrote:
> The quill stem was allowing
> the bars to twist, the new one wasn't.

That's my experience, too.  I have 12 bikes and only 2 of them have
clamp-on stems.  When I ride those two bikes, I'm always struck by how
much the stem doesn't twist (ie.:  is torsionally stiffer).  I think
what's really happening with the quill stems is that the threaded
steel tightening bolt, that pulls up on the wedge, is twisting.   In
therory, there should be a small gap between the wedge and the tapered
end of the stem, which would allow that much movement, and a small
steel rod is pretty easy to twist.  "Expander bolt - style" quill
stems might be differerent, but I don't own any and can't comment.

The big question is why it would matter, though.  Its not in danger of
breaking, and it probably provides a bit of shock deadening to high-
frequency lateral twisting ("shimmy?"  I'm speaking  beyond my level
of enegineering expertise and vocabulary here) in the front wheel and
fork.  And that's a GOOD thing, just like a handlebar that flexes a
bit.  I can't imagine that it sucks any measureable power out of most
riders.