The joints for the fork blades into the crown, the steerer into the crown and
the lower head tube joint are the most stressed places on a bike.  Bumps and
braking apply a lot of stress to that area.  Stress risers need to be minimized
there and not overheating the metal during brazing is critical.  A break in the
fork or lower head joint is not so safe no matter what material used in making
the frame.

Oddly enough IME it's not the most common place for break to occur in steel
frames.  I've seen more cracks in the seat tube just above the bottom bracket
and one of the chain stays at the BB.  I think overheating the metal during
brazing is common there due to the mass of the BB shell needing to be heated to
get full flow of the brass or silver throughout the joint.  If you sight down
along the seat tube or down tube to the BB shell, you can often see some
distortion of the tubes from overheating.  When you are standing to sprint or
climb, you're putting a large tension load on the seat tube-BB shell joint as
well as a bending load.  The flex of the BB shell also puts a bending load on
the chain stay- BB shell joints.

It'd be interesting to rig some bikes up with strain gauges and see what the
measurable differences in frame flex are; in the interest of discussing
"planing" (a term I react to negatively for some reason) it would be
interesting to see if measured dynamic flex matches the subjective impressions
that lead to preferring one bike over another.