HA! Funny to hear a Hillborne suffered a similar fate. I don't think
I'm particularly aggressive or abusive, and the most likely cause of
failure was this being a random frameswap with a friend who got it for
free on craigslist, so god knows what kind of treatment it got in it's
heyday. Lost an 80's Raleigh Grand Prix with chrome fork blades in
that trade that I bet will be rocking Portland for another decade...

I think I've seen past my retrothrifty grouch limitations and will
instead splurge for the Waterford 64cm Sam Hillborne to replace this.
I briefly wrestled with going to the Surly darkside for a 70%
discount, but with my weird proportions and fixation on having another
piece of (Now MUSA!) Rivendell beautility/sculpture, it just seems
like the only way to go.

Once you drink the Petersen Kool-Aid, it's really hard to break from
the RBW way. Bigass frames, skyhigh stems, magnificent lugwork, low
BB's, the whole gleaming freakin' package. This style/design of riding
really has changed my life in the best of ways, most importantly in
making not operating a car in a sprawly Southern city not only
possible, but positively enjoyable; emphasis on da Joy.

I think the broke-beat-busted-but-not-disgusted Trek frame is going to
make a great piece of artwork too though. Cant decide whether to saw
off the fork/headtube and mount it in the living room, or let it
gracefully rust away as garden decor.