I bought my Hillborne to be my "weekend" bike, well aware of Grant's
words that it would quickly become my everyday bike.  Too true.  Two
summers ago, I had the chance to ride from the Bay Area up to the
Oregon/Washington border and back, and my Ultimate Touring Bike (Thorn
with Rohloff hub) was still in the works, so I threw a large Wald
basket on the front of the Hillborne and set off.  A few times on the
trip, the loaded basket swung around and gouged out a large scrape in
the paint on the down tube - down to the bare metal.  At first it
bothered me quite a bit that I could let such a thing happen, but
eventually I realized that this is part of what makes it MY bike, and
not someone else's - every time I see that scrape I think of the joy
of that trip.  I wouldn't give up that month in the saddle for
anything, and certainly not to undo the scratch.  At a later point in
time, a car trunk rack scraped off part of the seat tube label.
Again, not a problem.

A few times a year I give the bike a thorough cleaning, and I finally
used a sanding block on that scrape to chase the rust away, dabbed all
the chips I could find with clear nail polish, and wrapped the area of
the scrape with a ring of reflective tape so now if and when the
basket spins around it hits tape instead of paint.

Bottom line: I ride my Hillborne almost every day.  The Ultimate
Touring Bike eventually materialized, and I now use it for loaded
tours, big shopping trips, and rainy weather.  Otherwise it's the
Hillborne.  It's still beautiful and I still get unsolicited
compliments on it.  And when I'm RIDING it, the last thing I notice is
the chips.  What I notice is the comfortable riding position, the
comfort and security of the huge tires, and my overall bliss at using
this wonderful invention called the bicycle.

Sure, you can ride a beater every day and save a nice bike for the
weekends, but why not be in love with the bike that you put the most
miles on?  Getting over your fear of chips scrapes allows you to get
the most out of your bike.  As long as you keep the rust at bay, no
harm done.  I call it abeausage.

Daniel M
Berkeley, CA