I am so sorry to hear about your stolen bike.  I lock up my Hillborne
religiously in the "Sheldon" method (small U-lock around the rear
wheel, inside the rear triangle.)  When I'm going to be away from the
bike for more than a minute or two, I thread a braided cable around my
front wheel, through my seat to my U-lock.

My question is: how did they do it?  Did they cut your U-lock?  I want
to know if I'm being naive thinking that my bike is safe when I lock
it up this way.  Would anybody be so destructive as to cut through a
rear wheel in order to get at a bike locked in the Sheldon method?

Link to the Sheldon method:
http://sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Rethinking the Sheldon method:
http://www.cyclelicio.us/2011/sheldon-lock-video/

Modified Sheldon method:
http://www.802bikeguy.com/2011/07/the-modified-sheldon-brown-bike-locking-strategy/

All of this is moot if they sawed through your lock.  Sorry if this is
off-topic.  I REALLY hope you get your bike back and am hoping in the
meantime that I and others can learn from how the scumbags got yours.

Daniel M
Berkeley, CA