Thanks everyone - good advice so far and thanks for the guidance! The
tentative itinerary I had sketched out in my head works like this:

3/3 arrive, public txp to Palo Alto, get bikes thereabouts, staying w/
friends in Palo Alto
3/4 Palo Alto to Downtown SF, staying w/ family downtown
3/5 Golden Gate park, Marin head lands, ferry to Napa and stay w/ family in
Napa
3/6 To walnut creek, hotel or camp (haven't mentioned camping to my wife
yet)
Late 3/6 or early 3/7, Mount Diablo and environs, Riv HQ.
3/7 - Dispose of bikes, rent car, travel to San Diego for work/conference
(boo).

John