Shuttle Update:  Good news... Wilderness Voyageurs (WV) provided me
with what I consider a very reasonable rate for 2 vans (to shuttle
approx 25 passengers plus bikes and gear).  They have a large rack on
top of one van, and a box trailer for the balance of the bikes and
gear.  The price quote is $415, which translates to roughly $17 per
person (if we have 25), or $28 per person (if we have 15), etc... you
get the idea.  We pay for the vans and trailer, regardless of the
number of people.  Either way I think that's a very reasonable price
(compared to other quotes for large buses).  I would like to propose
leaving our cars in Cumberland (or optionally Frostburg) and getting
shuttled back on Sunday (I will explain why in a moment).

WV is located in Ohiopyle. PA just off the trail.  As we pass through
Ohiopyle on Sunday (Apr 22), we CAN opt to use WV to shuttle us up to
Fallingwater, IF folks would like to take a tour.  The cost would be
$25 per van (from WV HQ), which adds only $2 per person.  I have sent
in an inquiry to the Fallingwater people requesting a group tour rate
(normally $22 individually).  We'll see if they can accommodate a
group of 25 for the Noon time slot; THEN it's up to us to decide
whether we'd like to include this tour or not.  Another option would
be to have a nice, relaxing lunch in Ohiopyle.  I'd like your
thoughts, please.

Next up will be a decision on lodging and shuttle options.  The WV
folks made a pretty good case for leaving our cars in Cumberland MD,
citing better parking options, and actually by leaving cars in
Cumberland, another advantage would be to allow late arrivals on
Friday night (or even Saturday morning), by not having to pre-shuttle
at a predetermined time.  Moreover, we can check in with WV at
Ohiopyle on Sunday, and provide a pretty accurate time estimate for
when we'll need pickup in Connellsville, which is 17 miles down
river.  The disadvantage to this is that it tacks on additional time
and distance for our friends coming from the North.  But Sunday will
be a shorter day, and I'd anticipate arriving in Connellsville around
3, putting us back in Cumberland by around 5 PM.

For those who would prefer to start in Frostburg (which is 16 miles up
trail from Cumberland), this would give you a later start on Sat AM
(while you wait for the rally to catch up) and it would spare you 16
miles of additional climbing (albeit at a gradual 1% grade or less).
I'm sure we can convince the WV crew to drop people in Frostburg on
the way back into Cumberland on Sunday, but they may tack on a small
surcharge.  Another option for those wishing to start from Frostburg
on Saturday would be to arrive in Cumberland during the day on Friday,
leaving your car in Cumberland, then riding 16 miles to Frostburg "up
the climb" to a hotel in Frostburg... then you can "sleep in" on Sat
while the rest of us huff and puff our way up to meet you.

Finally, for lodging options in Confluence, I would strongly recommend
reserving the Paddlers Lane Retreat guest house, which can accommodate
at least a dozen, and costs about $425 a night (which is a bargain if
we fill it).  Here's a link to their site -
http://www.paddlerslane.com/id9.html.

There are other B&B accommodations that folks can make on their own,
with prices and quality of accommodations varying; Here's the link to
Google maps that lists and shows where these lodging choices are:
http://tinyurl.com/6wj6bgq  You can decide.

SO WHAT I AM ASKING FROM THOSE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING RIV RALLY EAST
2012 INCLUDES:

- As soon as possible, a verbal commitment to attend (and I may
request a deposit for the shuttle and lodging (if I book the Paddlers
Guest House).
- A lodging preference, either:  A. I would like to stay with the
masses in the Paddlers Lane Guest House (if avail), and although I am
guaranteed a bed, it may not be a queen bed, we'll draw straws...  or
B. I would like to make my own lodging arrangements.
- Preferred starting point; Cumberland, MD (62 miles to Confluence on
Day 1, approx the first 25 miles are gradual uphill) vs Frostburg, MD
(47 miles to Confluence on Day 1, approx the first 10 miles are
gradual uphill).  And for those preferring Frostburg, do you need to
A. Park in Frostburg or B. Park in Cumberland and ride to Frostburg
ahead of the Rally.
- A (Yes/No) vote on a Fallingwater tour - Assuming we shuttle via
bus, and take a Noon tour... Figure 1-2 hours total, and will cost
approx $20 per person.

Thanks, this information will greatly help me plan the logistics.
Later this evening I will provide a list of available hotel choices
for Cumberland and Frostburg, which folks can opt to stay at Friday
evening, or choose a hotel outside of the area, your choice, and you
can make those arrangements on your own.

If you have any questions, feel free to call me on my cell (908)
303-6887 or email me at montclairbob...@gmail.com

Thanks,
BB