I just took a nice 22 mile out and back, 3/4 dirt, along our Rio
Grande bosque trails and fire roads: wonderful ride. I find that I am
considerably less tempted to do the time trial schtick on dirt than I
am on pavement, making for a more pleasant ride and -- mirabile dictu!
-- fast, comfortable "mini time trials" on the way back, on dirt,
thanks to having given myself ample time to warm up.

But enough about me. After riding the (insert name of non-Rivendell,
but IMO very Rivendellish, tigg'd, Salsa model here -- steel! steel!
It's steel!!) with the skinny Sun Rhyno wheelset with 40 mm Ritchey
Speed Maxes for a couple of months, I finally got around to going to
the fabric store and buying a roll of 1 1/2' ribbon wherewith to
provide the SnoCat SLs with rim strips (I was tempted to buy some very
pretty brocade type ribbon but saved my $$ and bought basic black) so
I could re-install the Big Apples. Today's ride was on the BA wheelset
at about 12/18 psi, and I was once again surprised and pleased at how
well the 60 mm BAs roll; on pavement -- tho' they are faster at a few
psi more: say 20/25 -- but especially on firm dirt and gravel; I swear
up and down that they roll ***as well*** on the sub 1" sand, packed
clay, woodcut debris and light gravel of the route I took as they do
(at 12/18) on smooth pavement. (As I was cruising at 18 mph on the
gravel verge of the bike path, a youngster passed me (on pavement) and
said, "Nice beast!") Me, I'd rather push a soft BA on pavement than
push a hard, skinny, sub 50 mm tire on dirt.

So, what's y'all's preference for combination on/off road riding? Fat
and soft on pavement, or skinny, hard 42s on dirt?

Patrick "God willing, will pick up my 35 mm Kojaks for the Rhyno Lite
wheelset -- strictly pavement! -- tomorrow" Moore

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM