From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
[mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Bunik
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:35 PM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [RBW] Re: East Coast Rivendells / BOBs

D'OH... damned Reply-To:!!!

Andy is a great guy, rides an enviable Riv, always has.

Maybe I ought visit y'all for this GAP ride. I <3 PGH

On 2/16/12, Joe Bunik <jbu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andy!
>
> Man, I miss Pittsburgh! Still riding with the Td'O group? We wound up
> way out west, 'Nut Creek of all places... somehow that was always on
> the wall for us!
>
> Got rid of (some of) my CL-armada and am finally able to represent for
> the home team around here, a friend hooked me up with his ex-Legolas -
> best bike evar. :-) http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_bunik/6630326105
> - bars and tires have changed out since that pic, though.
>
> Hope yer well
> =- Joe Bunik, PGH '06-'09
>
> On 2/16/12, ascpgh <asc....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I live in Pittsburgh, several hours and mountain ridges from the east
>> coast corridor, but have ridden in Washington D.C. and NYC on my
>> Rambouillet including the Five Boroughs Ride a couple years ago.
>> During that day I was addressed by more people who commented on the
>> aesthetic and the fit of my bike to me. My wife was pretty sarcastic
>> about it by the end of the day and the drive home cracking about
>> friends I haven't met yet who will come drooling at the parking lot
>> of the next stop along the way home.
>>
>> I wonder if that population-dense region of this country reinforces
>> generalizations, like Manhattanites preference for black. If so, the
>> major cycling theme would be the one dictated by the volume players
>> and the ones using the tech materials as their marketing. Ask some
>> adherents of that theme about their bike and they incessantly talk in
>> the same vocabulary of  carbon fiber, stiff, light, "weighs...",
>> blah, blah, blah. Never much descriptive about how they ride. There
>> is a superiority, or at least hiding weaknesses, one may assume under
>> the cloak of conformity; if you have the look, no one assumes
>> anything but that you belong. Few new to cycling will assume minority
>> sensibilities to aid their recognition in their new pursuit
>>
>> Veteran cyclists work through stuff like that on their long run of
>> bikes, parts and sensibilities. I think it is those riders who are
>> particular minorities in the general population of cyclists. The CF
>> mashers come and go from the group with whom I ride. They ride with a
>> different group for all-hammerfest riding and sometimes alternate
>> because while the VO max crew is satisfying of the desperately
>> desired  self-image, they must not be very much fun and certainly do
>> not waste expiratory tidal volume on conversation.
>>
>> Me on my steel Ram and the others, core to the group I ride with,
>> share information like this list does and many from other bases of
>> aesthetic and materials seem  enlightened  by the quality of
>> information freely shared. I think that is more important than one's
>> preference of frame material because it promotes cycling and rather
>> than controlling the communication of information, a weak base of
>> power, it facilitates it.
>>
>> ANDY
>> Pittsburgh

> [...]

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we advise you that,
unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this
message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the
purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code
or applicable state or local tax law provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or
recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently
delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their
professional qualifications will be provided upon request.