Ironically, I just bought the 2005 back issue of VQ (then VBQ) that has the
interview with GP and JH, and it's funny to see their differing opinions. Grant
is all "it's great if a bike is flexible to be equipped any way someone wants"
and Jan is all "but didn't the French essentially figure out how to make a
fully equipped  bike that can do everything?" and Grant is all "they're great
but that doesn't work for everyone. Give me  flexibility" and Jan's all like
"great points, but why aren't we just building rando bikes for everyone..."

Pete (tastes great AND less filling!) in CT