Tim: I have not heard anyone express concerns about steel "going soft" in 6
years selling and servicing steel bikes at HC.

That said, one thing I have learned selling and servicing steel bikes, is
that ANYTHING can break even under normal circumstances. Lots of
well-regarded and well-cared-for steel frames break every year, long before
the steel has gone soft. We see lots of them. As Mongo often says to people
who are surprised by worn-out or broken components or frames: "bikes are a
wear item." For every 120,000 mile steel frame, there are many that broke
in one season of riding. Bikes, ones that get ridden anyway, have a hard
life. It's silly to think they'll last forever.