The biggest issue with IGHs is that they appeal mostly to people who want
to avoid doing bike maintenance. In SoCal, that's probably ok, but in
places where people will ride them through sloppy conditions, water and
grime and salts get in, but can't get out. The hub keeps working until it
doesn't, and then it's too late to fix it because most of the time you
can't get parts for the most popular models (namely, Shimano 8sp models).
Rohloff is sealed and mostly immune to these flaws, but that's out of most
cyclists' league. Old SA 3-speeds are another thing, too, because parts are
available in surplus and cheap, and the hubs are sloppy enough to function
(to some extent) even when internal parts are worn or gunked up or out of
adjustment.

Then you have the issues with more difficult flat fixes, shifter/handlebar
capability, weight (perhaps), many bike shops that don't know how to
service them or carry parts, etc, etc. And, besides all that, modern
derailleur systems, work REALLY well with a modicum of TLC. What problem
are we solving? Don't get me wrong, I think IGHs have some neat advantages,
but the people who want them are often the people who will have trouble
with them and be disappointed.