Yes, even though the axle is longer on my one single speed wheel, it's had
no problem holding up my 230 pounds even with panniers and gear.

FWIW, a Phil freewheel hub has a long axle on the non-drive side to make a
low dish wheel.  Have one on my Sam Hillborne and it has held up just fine
under my weight in all kinds of riding.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN