Interesting questions, Phil. As the owner, I've wondered the same thing about a
few of them.

It is a standard Atlantis from either the 2000 or 2001 batch. (I got it in
2001.) I think it was from the second batch ever made. Early on, the Atlantis
evolved a bit in that the very early 700C ones might not have had the same
clearance as one from like 2004 or so. I recall being told in 2001 that a real
2 inch knobby wouldn't fit so well in the rear on mine while on future
Atlantis's, it would.

When I brought the frame in to discuss repaint a year ago, Mark helped me to
mark where the fork mini-rack braze-ons should go, and we did it based on my
desired use of the Nitto mini-rack (unless I messed up at the time and said
mini-Mark's rack which is possible!)

Once the bike was repainted, I immediately noticed how close the rack braze-ons
were to the brake posts, but I was already using V-brakes so I wasn't worried.
(It did prevent me from switching to Tektro cantis, as I had intended.) Michael
asked why I went with V's. A few years ago, when Rivendell started selling the
Tektro V-Brake lever, I loved the shape and wanted to try it, and at the same
time, they had Deore V-Brakes at a good bargain. So I went for it. I like them.

Yes, the same builder made all the additions to my Atlantis at the time of the
repaint: dogbone mini-rack mounts front and rear, kickstand plate, braze-ons on
the fork crown.

Interesting that you mention the tire clearance being larger than normal. I
wouldn't have expected that to be greater on mine than on later Atlantis's. Are
you referring specifically to tire clearance above the tire? I've had fenders
on my Atlantis before, and in the front, they sit WAY higher than the tire, and
it looks a little weird. I had figured that all Atlantis's were this way, but
I've never really compared mine to others in this detail. The high fender seems
consistent with an observation that the clearance above the tire is large.

So to sum up, my Atlantis was a standard one for 2001, but maybe being an early
one, it now seems atypical in a few regards compared to the majority of the
frames made in the bike's 12 year history. I already figured that when I saw
how close the mini-rack braze-ons are to the brake posts. I know current
Atlantis's on Rivbike are not like that; there is more room, which means that
now the braze-ons are lower than they are on mine. So now, let me think, extra
high vertical clearance above the tire would be consistent with the rack
braze-on being closer to the brakes, right? So does this mean that on my
Atlantis, and presumably on the other early ones, the fork crown was just
higher above the wheel axle than they are now? Does that mean my head tube is
shorter, and my fork blades are longer?

FWIW, another way that mine and the other early 64's were different is that
they have 62 cm top-tubes on the 64 cm frame size. The majority of 64's that
came later had 60 cm top-tubes.

-Jim W.

p.s. When I get home, I'll do the measurement that William mentioned.