Hmm.  With it still acting up, am going to join the chorus of the dropouts
not being aligned.  But even then, can't see why it would slip so bad.  I
was able to ride a Surly Cross Check with the XT quick release without
slipping.  Both as a multi geared and single speed.

Only other thing I could think of - the axle could be slightly bent,
preventing the hub end and quick release face from being parallel.   So the
ends can't clamp tight, although the dropout may be aligned.  Really,
highly unlikely (like nearly impossible).  But it's the only other thing
that comes to mind.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN