Is it clear when during your rides that it slips?  Just spinning along,
cranking out of the saddle, or spinning up a steep climb? I fear it may
just be that your combination of horizontal dropouts, QR's, low gears, and
steep California climbs that just might be too much for QR's.  My success
with QR's and horizontals is limited to road bikes with fixed gear
drivetrains or compact double derailleur setups, which lack super-low
stump-pulling gears.

Have you considered converting the hub to a bolt-on (solid) axle?  It might
be the cheapest and simplest solution here.  Just have to carry a 15mm box
wrench in your saddle bag.