On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM, William <tapebu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  If you asked for my wild guess, I'd try those 'slow-release' levers.  The
> ones you need an allen wrench to tighten.  On chrome rear dropouts in the
> past, that's been helpful for me.  I think they generate substantially more
> clampforce.

That's opposite my experience, but I'd be interested to hear the
"slow-release" skewers you had success with. I'm not able to get near
the clamping force out of those 5mm bolts that I get from an internal
cam QR.

I think it almost has to be the axle at this point. Many have run QRs
with horizontal drops without issue. I did with a 22/28 low gear for
thousands of slip-free miles, and that using a Deore LX skewer with
aluminum faces.

Frustrating, to be sure, but I wouldn't be distracted by things other
than that axle.

Best,
joe broach
portland, or