Jim,

Nice to hear your perspective as a shop owner. Your name and Hiawatha came
up in a conversation last night at a ball field here in Seattle during a
discussion with one of the fathers of a boy on my son's team, who asked me
about "getting a good road bike". I am in no way affiliated with the
bicycle industry other than as a reformed racer and someone who now rides
for fun and utility and who works on Bike Trains and Ride to School
programs, but since I'm seen on a bike often, there's a pre-supposition
that I "know".

I ordered 6 copies of Just Ride to hand out precisely because I don't
"know", and they arrived yesterday afternoon, so I was fortunate enough to
have one on hand at the ball yard. I listened for a bit, and then simply
handed the book over and said "Keep it and pass it on if you find it
useful, but most of what you need to think about is in here".

I admit that I was thrilled to have a way to shorten the typical discussion
I end up having, and to matador the whole thing off to Grant via the book;
there's something validating when someone take the time to really make a
thing, and in book format, Grant's advice carries more weight than if I
were to say many of the same things. He was intrigued by the book, and I'm
confident that while it might dovetail with his notions, it will certainly
reduce the probability of him ending up on a Madone, and that's a good
thing.

And back to Hiawatha. The gentlemen with whom I was speaking went to
college in Minneapolis, and told me in passing that where he came from "you
couldn't ride at all in the winter or you'd die". I told him about your
shop, your blog, and suggested that in the ensuing 20 years the industry
had evolved and now offered sensible alternatives to "Death by Bike in
Minneapolis".

One last thing. Grant was very complimentary of the Surly LHT in his talk
in Seattle, holding it up as an example of a sound, sensible, and useful
bicycle. I know you're a dealer, and thought I'd mention that I bought a 42
cm complete for my then 8-year old (bit of a stretch then), which he rides
to school every day with a Burley Cargo trailer hauling a trumpet case,
messenger bag, rain gear, and whatever else need to go to school each day.
The bike has been phenomenal, and he's now nearly 12 and still on the same
frame with no trouble. Amortized over the life of the bike, and guessing
that he'll get another 2 years out of it with a stem change, it was a great
deal. It's been knocked over, banged around, dropped in just about every
way possible, and it's still going strong. That thing is a tank, and an
excellent option for any mature kid who likes to ride and does.