On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery
<thill....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rolls Royce suggests enlisting the help of an experienced RR mechanic to
> demonstrate proper torque.
>
> I don't know many pro mechanics who use torque wrenches or fret over torque
> specs, except on CF stuff. For the most part "mechanic's hand" is just fine.
> If you lack mechanic's hand, hopefully you know it by now. A torque wrench
> may be a worthwhile investment...or maybe it's more advisable to just find a
> good mechanic. A man has to know his limitations.

'a mechanics hand' can come through experience - or as another option
it could just be a function of strength and guessing. I've noticed
I've gotten better at estimating torque for things I do repeatedly so
that when I go to test with the torque wrench there is very little
movement necessary. However, I like tools which take the 'magical
intuition and guessing' out of the game.

Additionally, I have found that seeking out a good mechanic is next to
impossible. During conversation w/a mechanic and w/o encountering some
sort of failure of some kind from their work - I've found that
distinguishing a good mechanic from a passable mechanic is next to
impossible.

I'd rather learn to do it for myself or get a tool to help me do it
myself than guess as to whether or not the money I just paid someone
was for good, reliable work or was just for the fun of throwing my
money away.

-sv