Some people should not work on their own bikes. This is not an insult, just
something that I've observed over a number of years fixing massive DIY f-ups.
That said, as a mechanical object, the bicycle is quite approachable for an
amateur wrench, so for a person who has the aptitude and inclination and tools,
I say have at it. I believe there are lots of fine bike mechanics in any
large-ish city. There are also lots of shops that employ inexperienced
mechanics in the busy season. It can be a trick to find the mech who's
compatible with our bikes and personalities.

As a parallel to the above: I have learned over the years that I should not do
home improvement/repair projects. MUCH easier and cheaper and faster and better
to find an experienced person to do it for me.