I have been waiting for the opportunity to get the Hunqapillar into the
mountains for a ride.  My wife and daughter went to MN to see family, so I
had a few days to get out of dodge.  I wanted to do some sort of S24X, but
it was out of the question as I have a dog that isn't one to run alongside
me (first squirrel that shows up starts wild goose chase).  I figured I
would drive up to an old favorite haunt of some 10 years ago, and bike
around the area.  It seemed like a good time and place to get lost.  The
good part is that I would not have to fight the crowds at the campgrounds.
 This place is in the back country in the Central Cascades.

The first night was just spent setting up camp, and concluded with a short
bike ride down to discover the old road was overgrown.  After breakfast the
next day, I did a 10 mile out and back to a rock formation that was north
of my camp.  I had seen goats up there in the past (white specks in
binoculars), and I wasn't really sure I would get all the way up there.
 After exploring a few dead-ends, I really started climbing.  It was
probably 85, so the shady spots on the ride were nice!  There were quite a
few overlooks where I had great views of Mt. Rainier to the south, and the
North/Central Cascades to the north.  When I reached the end of the trail,
I figured I was only a short hop to the top, so I left the bike, and
started hoofing it up.  I surprised (myself and them) a herd of mountain
goats that were lounging on the rocks.  Coolest thing ever - even saw a kid
in the group!  The ride back down was a trip!  The Marathon Duremes worked
like a champ at hanging on to the gravel roads at 15-30mph, and the
Hunqapillar was smooth as silk.  The front is at about 20psi, and the back
at 35ish.  The only rough parts were the washboard sections on the main
road.  My arms got a workout hanging on.  No problems going up-hill with
the balanced load.  I've never had the bike try to wander off trail.  I may
grades are steep!  The 32 front, 36 rear combo got me up the worst of it,
though.

That night, after charging my phone, I realized I had drained my truck
battery.  I had accidentally left the lights on.  After the initial panic
of being in the middle of nowhere, I called an old friend who was about the
only person in Seattle who knew how to get where I was.  I told him to come
up and get me if I didn't call him by 4pm the next night.  Sunday morning,
I rode down from my camp to the main road on the alternate route.  This
road had really become overgrown in the past 10 years, and was barely
passable on bike.  I had to walk 2 sections through alder tunnels that were
growing over the road from both sides.  Amazing how quick nature takes
over!  The amazing thing was how this bike just barreled through the brush,
though.  I took a few branches at speed on upper and lower wheel, and the
bike just blew through with nary a hiccup.  Solid!

Within 5 minutes of getting to the road, I flagged down a pickup, explained
my predicament, and asked if they could give me a jump start.  Long story
short - they did.  Lucky too.  This was the only other car I saw on that
road the rest of the day.  Yikes!

Pics of record:  http://flic.kr/s/aHsjAwmxY7

Brian Hanson (and tired Brittany Spaniel, Cupcake)
Seattle, WA