The weather here in Portland has been beautiful lately. Downright
exceptional over the past three days while I was at work. I woke up this
morning and it was cooler but could tell it would burn off. My wife is out
of town and we have a puppy so I can't get away for all day rides but I did
get in a 3hr ramble passing through Forest Park twice. When I first entered
Forest Park and ended up taking Fire Rd 1 which I had never ridden before.
It's quite steep in parts and so I just dismounted and just walked a few
sections which was fine. I was on my Hilsen and one area where it doesn't
do so great is steep scrabbly climbs. I guess I could have "muscled" up the
climb but that just didn't seem fun. I exited Forest Park and headed up to
Skyline on the pavement and took that for a little ways before dropping
back down into Forest Park via Saltzman and made my way down to Hwy 30 and
across the St Johns Bridge and back home, stopping for tacos and ice cream
along the way.

It was just a really great ride. I was on my Hilsen with platform pedals
and wearing some Musa shorts and an LL Bean seersucker/hiking shirt I
recently purchased on sale. The shirt worked well except for on descents
where it tends to flap in the wind a bit too much for my taste. I guess I
could tuck it in and the problem would be solved.

After spending so much time focused on randonneuring for the past couple of
months it was really nice to just get out for a ramble. I'll do some
variation on the ride tomorrow and the next day. When my wife returns I'll
hopefully get out for an overnight camping trip.

Here's a photo set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41335973@N00/sets/72157630519177722/

--mike