Nothing Hirsch says discredits the paper cited. The paper claims that
the resting energy expenditure of the subjects with low carb diets was
higher than the high carb diet expenditure.

Therefore, the low carb diet contingent burns more energy at rest than
the high carb diet contingent. I looked at the data and it certainly
trended that way.  They claim that the data are statistically
significant.

One thing of note, however, is that the low carb diet contingent had
higher levels of cortisol and I think I remember reading C-reactive
protein. These are markers of inflammation and if they are elevated
tend to increase the risk of cardiovascular disease among other
things.

I try to eat as many veggies as possible and be moderate in my intake
of carbs and meat. In any event, a diet with lots of veggies is good
for preventing cancer.  Luckily I don't need to be too worried about
weight.

Toshi