Amen to this. I am amazed at how well and quickly even I -- being
impatient -- can cook. I am very grateful that my daughter has grown
up with home-made meals, not pre-packaged schlock.

The best cookbook for non-experts is Bittman's How To Cook Everything.
The title is just about accurate: you can find out what to do with the
catfish nuggets that have been sitting in the freezer for months
(lemon and caper sauce, or a mustard sauce), pastas when your
ingredients are spaghetti noodles, an old head of garlic and some
cheese, what to do with cabbage, and how to make a gimlet.

Patrick Moore, who must still try that fennel pasta ....

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Patrick in VT <swing4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:48:08 PM UTC-4, Tim McNamara wrote:
>>

>> The best advice about diet I have read is "Eat food.  Not too much.
>> Mostly plants."
>

> The only thing I'd add to that is learn to cook.  Cooking is essential to
> taking ownership of what we choose to eat - everyday, I get 5-6 chances to
> make the right food choices.  When I roll my own, I get it right more often
> than not.  Cooking also inevitably leads to more flavor and variety, which
> makes the food i eat very satisfying.  It's an essential human skill and it
> needs to part of the discussion with respect to the health/obesity epidemic.

"Push back against the age as hard as it pushes against you."

Flannery O'Connor