I believe the physiology research shows folks do have max heart rates,
but trying to predict an individual's max from the published formulas
is not appropriate. The published formulas are based on statistical
fitting of large numbers of people, and the spread in the data is
quite large. Though the formulas are correct on average, the standard
deviation is bigger than the trends in the average.